Sunday, November 7, 2010

Backpacking With Dad

Well, is been far too long since I've updated my blog, so I'm working on updating it all right now.

8/20-8/21
Dad and I went on a fun backpacking trip. We loaded up our gear and then drove off to the Centennial Mountain range by Kilgore Idaho. We stopped at the store there and Dad bought me a soda and told me when he and grandpa stopped there almost 5
0 years ago when he was a kid. We then continued driving and found the trailhead. We loaded up our packs and grabbed our fishing poles and headed up the trail.

It was a really nice trail and was pretty short. We found some huckleberries along the trail on the way up. So we stopped and took some breaks to pick and eat huckleberries. The total hike was about 1.3 miles until we got to Aldous lake. It was a pretty little lake and looked like it had quite a few trout in it to be caught. After dropping off our packs and getting a quick snack, Dad and I pulled out our fly-fishing rods and started seeing what we could catch. We fished for an hour and a half without any bites at all. I took a break to set up the tent while Dad kept on fishing.

After finishing setting up the tent I went back to fishing with Dad. We worked our way around the lake, and when we got near the north side of the lake, where some scouts were camping, we started catching fish. Also by the North side of the lake there were hundreds of little frogs all along the shore. It was a lot of fun catching the fish. I caught the first one, and then Dad started hooking them and ended up hooking more fish than me. I kept two fish, and Dad kept one. That day was the first day I caught a fish with a fly rod. I really enjoy fly fishing and had a lot of fun fishing.
The next day we woke up and cooked oatmeal for breakfast, and then broke camp. We fished for a little bit, but didn't have any luck catching any fish. We stopped a lot along the trail on the way out to pick huckleberries. We picked quite a few and had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed going on the camping trip with Dad and spending time with him.


1 comment:

Daniel said...

The biggest fish was mine :) and these cutthroat tasted amazing